The Next Level: Why Deeper Is Better for TBMs in Mining
Diminishing surficial mineral deposits, increasing environmental regulation and advanced geological exploration techniques are ushering in a new era of mining. Unconventional technology must be adopted to ensure that safe, efficient and responsible access to minerals is possible as prospecting continues to push the mining industry deeper. This paper discusses why competitive mining operations will become increasingly dependent on Tunnel Boring machines (TBMs) for mine development and expansion, and explores the implications of TBMs in a drill and blast dominated industry.
- The Risks Associated with TBM Procurement and the Next Steps Towards Industry Change
- Boring Hard, Abrasive Gneiss with a Main Beam TBM at the Atlanta Water Supply Program
- TBM Tool Wear Analysis for Cutterhead Configuration and Resource Planning in Glacial Geology
- Logistics and Performance of a Large-Diameter Crossover TBM for the Akron Ohio Canal Interceptor Tunnel
- Excavating Turkey’s Most Challenging Project: The Gerede Water Transmission Tunnel